Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I found my way back

Well, it’s been a while since I posted anything. I tend to lay low after a big exhibit opening. There is always such a build up to these events, then it happens and afterwards you are not quite sure what to do with yourself.

I have been continuing my creativity coaching training and really enjoying it. I don’t know what I am going to do with it yet. I do like teaching, mentoring and helping others. I think it might be fun to offer a creativity workshop or class series.  I am exploring offering online & email workshops as well as in person ones. The beauty of an online workshop is that you can attend at anytime from anywhere, there is a lot more flexibility. I might even use this blog as a starting place for my creativity tips and articles. 

I have been really wanting to attend another artist residency. Now that I have a child my options are a lot more limited. It is difficult to find places that allow children. A lot of the ones that do having waiting lists and or you have to apply a year or more in advance. It’s difficult to plan that far ahead with a toddler. So for now I have decided to create my own art retreat. In January I am going to go to the Big Island of Hawaii for 3 weeks. I hesitate to call if a vacation because I plan on working while I am there. I am so excited about just getting away and creating. No TV, housework, obligations, etc. I will be bringing my daughter so I am sure there is going to be an adjustment period but I will just have to roll with it.

Here is a book art piece that I recently created. It is currently for sale at Gallery 85 in San Jose. Often I try not to use a specific book when I create, I just let the form, size, color, etc. guide me rather than the subject. In this case I did draw inspiration from the book content, Dante's Inferno. As you can see the book has been burned and chard butterflies are emerging from the burnt section. The title of the piece refers the section that the book is opened to which refers to Myrrha the mother of Adonis. Libythea Myrrha is also a species of butterfly.

Libythea Myrrha
Vintage Book and Encaustic Wax



No comments: