Saturday, December 31, 2011

Year In Review

It’s time for my year in review blog post.

2011 was creatively and professionally an amazing and really, really busy year for me. My year began as I was returning from a month long Artist Residency in Costa Rica. I returned invigorated and inspired. The residency experience was a wonderful one and I was hooked.

In January I participated in the very first ever SJMADE event and it was a fantastic success. February was an awesome month; I was interviewed on a live TV show called Talk Art. You can watch the episode by clicking here. It was a new experience that I had a lot of fun with. My bullet shell jewelry was also named in Silicon Valley Metro’s best of issue.In March I had a solo exhibit at Good Karma.

I think April might have been the climax of my year. I was named the Arts Council Silicon Valley artist laureate in photography and received an Artist Fellowship Grant. I was also featured in a really well written and brilliant full article in the Silicon Valley Metro.

The summer months of flew by with Open Studios in May, SubZERO Festival in June and First Friday Art Street Markets in August & Sept. September also brought another successful SJMADE event.

In October I was awarded an Eco Studio Makeover and grant from the Art Inspectors Healthy Art Program. I am really excited about this program and will have lots to share about it in the including an exhibit at City Hall. October also marked the beginning of my new blog San Jose Creatives which features weekly interviews with the creative community in San Jose. I am really excited about this little project. It has received a lot of great feedback and I am meeting so many wonderful people.

If all this wasn’t enough at the end of October I flew to Iceland for another artist residency at Herhús in Siglufjördur. It was such a magical and incredible experience. I worked on a new series that I will be exhibiting in 2012 and had lots of adventures.

November and December had a couple more solo exhibits. Kanji Garden, a site specific installation made of hundreds of hand dyed and folded books at Phantom Galleries and my Efflorescence series was exhibited at the Saratoga Library. In November I was featured in a beautiful and insightful article and interview in Content Magazine. It was so great meeting the Content crew and working with them. December also brought Hark the Holiday Show at Kaleid Gallery.

This year I also started to show and sell my artwork and jewelry at Modern Eden Gallery in San Francisco and The Bone Room in Berkeley.

As you can see my year has been remarkable and filled with many wonderful events and opportunities. I am so grateful for all of the wonderful and supportive people in my life. Your belief, support, friendship, and encouragement mean the world to me.

Happy New Year! I wish you and your loved ones a creative, happy and healthy New Year filled with lots of adventures. Here is to making 2012 an even better year! Keep pushing, keep fighting and never give up.

No comments: