Thursday, August 04, 2011

Recently I have been participating in a lot more outdoor, pop up and special art market/festival/fair type of events. I generally do not like to participate in the huge city art fairs. The booths are very expensive, the customer base isn’t always my demographic and a lot of times I don’t feel our creative and artistic philosophies line up. So I have been carefully choosing ones that I feel fit with my artwork, jewelry and creative philosophy. I especially like ones that are community based filled with real hard working artist who support each other.

They are still a lot of work, days and weeks of preparation go into a 4-6 hour event. It is a very different way of sharing my work with people. In a gallery or other exhibit setting people usually see my art and not me. It can be more difficult for them to connect with a piece without knowing its story or meeting the artist.

With an art event where I am manning my own booth I get to really talk to and interact with people. I can describe my art and inspirations. Give them more details and background on my process and specific pieces. I really get to connect with people. That is also a part of what makes it such hard work. Artists tend to be solitary creatures and I am definitely in that category. While I don’t have any issues with or phobias about socializing I tend to prefer being in my art studio.So being present, professional, and basically “on” for hours can be a bit draining. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining at all. I love a challenge and enjoy talking to people about my artwork. This is one of the reasons that I really enjoy this format of showing and selling my work. I just need a nice cold cocktail or two afterwards ;)

Here is a list of these types of event I will be participating in:

South First Fridays Art Walk and Street Market
An Indie DIY Urban Street Fair


Friday August 5th
7:00pm - 11:00pm
SoFA District San Jose, CA
South 1st Street between San Carlos and Reed

I will have my own booth that will be in front of Anno Domini Gallery. I will have lots of new encaustic & book pieces, copper electorformed art and jewelry and my upcycled bullet casing necklaces.


South First Fridays Art Walk and Street Market
An Indie DIY Urban Street Fair


Friday September 2nd
7:00pm - 11:00pm
SoFA District San Jose, CA
South 1st Street between San Carlos and Reed

I will have my own booth on first St. I will have lots of new encaustic pieces, copper electorformed art and jewelry and my upcycled bullet casing necklaces.

SJMADE
Saturday & Sunday September 17th & 18th
San Pedro Square Market
87 N. San Pedro St, San Jose, Ca 95110

I will have a booth and mainly be selling my jewelry


4th Annual Luna Park Chalk Festival

Saturday September 24th
10:00am - 4:00pm
Backesto Park, San Jose, CA

I will have a booth and mainly be selling my jewelry

Come and enjoy some amazing chalk artists, Aztec dancers and lots of arts and crafts. Proceeds benefit arts education in local schools. I will have my own booth at the Art Street Market and will be selling my original jewelry and artwork.


I hope you can make it out to once or more of these events and stop by to say hi.


SJMADE Table 2011


No comments: