Monday, February 14, 2011

Bibliophile Book Reviews

I am a self proclaimed bibliophile. I love books, reading, collecting, and sharing them. I have a huge collection of physical books and a growing collection of digital books. They are my treasures, my escape, and my teachers. As an artist a huge part of my collection are books about artists and techniques. They give me ideas and inspirations as well as teach me new processes. Some books are better than others, although I always try and find some kernel of wisdom in each. So what is this post all about you ask? Well, I have decided to start reviewing these books and sharing my thoughts about them with you. These are not going to be in-depth professional reviews, just my thoughts and opinions on the books. I am not trying to endorse or tear down any book; I am just attempting to share my observations. I hope you enjoy.

Title: Encaustic with a Textile Sensibility
Author: Daniella Woolf

This is a very nice 8.5x11 paperback book. The book features 23 different artists who use encaustic and fiber in their artwork. The pictures are beautiful, great color and details. They are very inspiring and good for getting ideas and viewing different techniques. Each artist gets about 3 ½ full color pages for their artwork and ½ a page of text. The texts length varies anywhere from 1 small paragraph to 5 paragraphs. Although I love the pictures I would have liked more in the way of text. The text consists of statements about the artwork directly from the artist. While it can be interesting to learn about an artist’s motivation and intent I would have liked more content about their process. I know this is not meant to be an instructional book but always appreciate more of an interview format that reveals more. I enjoyed the portrait of each artist in their respective sections. This gives you a more personal connection with the creator and artwork. The index of artists with their website and contact info at the back of the book is a great addition as well that allows for more exploring.

No comments: