Wednesday, December 14, 2005

To print or not to print.

I have never made prints of my artwork, just made and sold originals. I have made cards, and journals but not matted art prints. I have been talking with more and more artist who mainly sell prints. That is where their income comes from, not the original artwork. So I have been doing a little research and ouch... what most people use for archival prints is the Epson 2200 that costs around $700. Its a beautiful and amazing printer but that is so much money. I have been told that you make your money back fairly soon depending of course on your sales and marketing. The going price for unlimited addition matted prints is $20-$50.So say with an average cost of $35, I would have to sell about 20 prints to make my money back. That actually doesn't sound so bad especially with open studios in May.
I don't enjoy this part of the creative process. I do want to sell my art, its just so much work. I often spend more time on the business side of it than the actual creating side. Oh well,its just something I have to deal with. I don't know what I would do with myself if I didn't have my artwork and my creativity.

Maybe Santa or the credit card fairy will bring me the printer.

No comments: