Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Machu Picchu

So… I can finally write about it. I have been wanting to for a long time but didn’t want to jinx anything but now everything is paid for and finalized.

I am soooo excited. Next March for my birthday I am going to Peru! My fist trip outside of the US (Canada doesn't count).

I wanted to go somewhere completely unfamiliar and off of my radar. After lots of research and thinking I decided on Peru. Two main reasons were Machu Picchu and the Amazon. We are going for 9 days. Here is a brief itinerary.

Day 1 Arrive Lima

Day 2-3 Amazon Rainforest
Fly from Lima to the Amazon gateway of Puerto Maldonado. Take a motorized canoe down the Tambopata River to our rainforest lodge. Explore the rainforest by foot and dugout canoe with expert local guides. The Amazon presents excellent wildlife-spotting opportunities. Visits to a parrot clay lick or oxbow lake.

Day 4-5 Cuzco
Fly from the jungle to the Incan capital of Cuzco, high in the Andes. Take a guided tour of Cuzco and learn about this city's fascinating history. Free time on Day 5 to explore Cuzco and visit local archaeological sites.

Day 6 Ollantaytambo
Travel through the majestic Sacred Valley on a day tour, including a visit to the Inca ruins of Pisac and Ollantaytambo.

Day 7-8 Machu Picchu / Cuzco
Ride a morning train through the Urubamba Valley to Aguas Calientes, at the foot of Machu Picchu. Early the next morning continue up to the 'Lost City' of Machu Picchu. Enjoy a guided tour of the ruins, with an option to soak in the nearby thermal baths. Return to Cuzco by train on Day 8.

Day 9 Depart Cuzco

No comments: